Saturday, April 13, 2013

I Destroyed My Mom's Pot

It's true, I did it. I set fire to my Mom's pot and destroyed it.

Now, don't get excited... it was actually just before New Year's Eve twenty some odd years ago. I was putting the turkey carcass on the stove to boil for soup, as I always do. My niece was over and we were all getting ready for New Year's Rockin' Eve, but we needed some snacks, so we headed out to the store.

And I forgot that I had turned the pot up to high to get it boiling.

We came back to find that it had boiled dry in the meantime and the place was filled with smoke and I almost burned the place down. It sounds funny now, but I was scared and ashamed that I had been so careless.

And my mom's vintage Wearever Dutch oven pot was destroyed, with about three inches of burned crud stuck to the bottom. My mom took it away to try to get it clean, but it was a goner and she tossed it. I still have the rest of the set, now sixty years old or more and use it often, but man, I wish I hadn't destroyed my mom's pot! I have since found a similar one that I use as my soup pot now, but I will never EVER leave it on the stove when I go out!

Here is a fascinating site of great photos of Wearever products: http://pages.morethanmccoy.com/8731/InventoryPage/1558931/1.html

No comments:

Post a Comment