Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Lady in Waiting

Every business has its share of 'hurry up and wait' times, when you have rushed to complete a project by deadline, only to wait in agony while the project is approved or reviewed. Time, compressed until hours feel like seconds in the first instance while frantically working, now elongates until days feel like years as the 'wait' is on.

Such is life as a novelist. While we can (and do, if we're smart) move on to work on other projects, there is still that nagging sense of looming agony or ecstasy. Will the editor like the book? Will they need massive changes, or none at all, or most likely, some changes, which they'll need by - of course - a tight deadline.

I've been in the game long enough to know how it works. But still... I'm so anxious to know if Book One of the Vintage Kitchen Mysteries, 'Hoosier Dead Guy?' is to the editor's taste, if she thinks I'm on track. I've gone on to Book Two, 'Bowled Over', but I'd feel a whole lot better if I knew Book One was how the editor envisioned it.

Sigh.

And then I/we could get on to the fun stuff, like cover design and... sheesh... a publication date.

So, to distract myself from the agony of the wait, here is a list of random musings:
  • Why do we always capitalize 'I', but not 'we' in writing; aren't 'we' more important than 'I'?
  • Why does my desk always end up in the same disgraceful state no matter what resolutions I make to the contrary?
  • How can someone as reasonably intelligent as I am (or pretend to be) love reality TV so much?
  • If winter comes, can spring be far behind?

And so I wait... my publication date is the proverbial watched pot that never boils. When I fuggedaboutit and just write on, that's the moment I'll find out my fate/publication date.

Until then, picture me counting paperclips and wondering why I have so many when I use, maybe, five a year. At this point, I have enough paperclips to last me until 2075.

The photos for this entry are used courtesy of Photo 8, a site that offers marvelous photos free!

4 comments:

  1. Just remember....those of us you have "hoosierized" have to wait too. You are not alone. So I'll sit and write silly "comments" in hopes the time passes faster. ................not working:^/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha!!! 'Hoosierized'... I'll have to remember that one. Thanks for making me smile in the midst of my impatience, Rita!

    I'm going back to work right now!

    Honest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG -- you've described it exactly! I'm going through the very same agony at the moment and would really like to get on with my life. But, it's all worth it. Maybe we should start a 12 Step for Writers-in-waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, Erika! Waiting is so hard, isn't it. Still, I feel so fortunate to get to do this, that I can't compalin. 12 Steps?

    1 - Accept that waiting - patiently or impatiently - is a part of being a writer.

    2 -... Anyone else???

    ReplyDelete