Thursday, February 20, 2014

Slowing down to hurry up...

I've been extremely busy lately. On my plate right now are: Book deadline, April 1st; typeset edit, due February 24th; copyedit, due February 24th, Regency manuscript to clean up, due... sigh... whenever I can get it done; promotion, all the time.

I'm not complaining. I LOVE what I do and I'm so lucky I get to do it for a living. So VERY lucky. And even more that readers seem to like what I write. I never dreamed this all was possible.

But the schedule is tight, super tight.

I noticed a pattern, though, that I had to stop. Ever heard the phrase 'the hurrieder I go the behinder I get'? It's a quote from something, isn't it? Maybe someone will know.

Anyway, that was me. I noticed this the dozenth time I sat down at my desk, tasted my coffee and realized I hadn't put any sweetener in it, which necessitated a trip back to the kitchen for the sweetener. I was making two trips instead of one almost every time because I was preoccupied with the work and forgot what I was doing.

So now... I am slowing down and focusing on each step of what I am doing. I do the Keurig thing, put in sweetener, and milk, stir and ahhh... coffee is right, and I don't have to make a second trip every time.

Slowing down to hurry up.

No comments:

Post a Comment